Cigna Rehab & Addiction Treatment Coverage in New Jersey

Last Updated: November 21, 2023

Editorial Policy | Research Policy

Cigna is a worldwide insurance company that provides Cigna rehab coverage for those seeking addiction and mental health care treatment.

Article at a glance:
– Cigna insurance may cover a significant portion of addiction treatment costs depending on the plan, state, and other factors.
– Cigna provides coverage for mental health and addiction treatment services as an essential health benefit under the Affordable Care Act.
– Cigna health plans may fall into different categories depending on factors such as location, employer, and government-funded healthcare eligibility.
– Cigna plans typically include coverage for addiction treatment, mental health services, and medication-assisted treatment (MAT) for alcohol and opioid use disorders.
– The length of addiction treatment and its medical necessity will be determined by Cigna, and coverage details can be verified through direct contact or with the assistance of The Recovery Village Cherry Hill at Cooper.
– The Recovery Village Cherry Hill at Cooper is an in-network rehab facility that accepts Cigna insurance and can assist with insurance verification and coverage details.

Although receiving evidence-based addiction treatment can help you achieve lasting recovery, one of the barriers for many people is a fear of how they’ll pay for rehab. However, insurance companies like Cigna may cover much of your addiction treatment costs depending on your plan, state and other factors.

Cigna Provider Overview

Cigna provides insurance to about 180 million people worldwide. With a presence in dozens of countries, the company has been in business for over 230 years. Like other private insurers, under the Affordable Care Act, Cigna must provide coverage for mental health and addiction treatment services as an essential health benefit.

Cigna Plans and Coverage Levels

Different Cigna health plans have specific features depending on the state where you live, your employer and if you qualify for healthcare funded by the government, such as Medicaid and Medicare.

Cigna health plans may fall into one of three broad categories.

  • HMO: A health maintenance organization or HMO plan limits the providers you can see only to in-network ones. An HMO plan will cover care you receive provided by a facility or physician contracted directly with Cigna.
  • EPO: An exclusive provider organization or EPO plan gives you more flexibility in choosing a healthcare provider. Still, if you’re out of network with your selected provider, Cigna may limit the services covered.
  • PPO: A preferred provider organization or PPO lets you choose from a wide range of providers, but you might have to pay higher costs out of pocket for out-of-network facilities.

Cigna also offers the LocalPlus plan, which helps you receive affordable care from a limited network of providers, and an open access plan or OAP with a larger provider network but additional costs out-of-network.

Usually, a Cigna PPO or HMO plan will include the following:

  • Bronze: These plans usually pay 60% of the treatment costs, with the patient responsible for the other 40%.
  • Silver: A silver plan will typically cover 70% of care, and you’re left to pay the other 30%.
  • Gold: If you have a gold plan, Cigna may pay up to 80% for rehab and addiction treatment costs, leaving you with 20%.
  • Platinum: Depending on your location, Cigna may offer platinum plans, where the company pays 90% of care costs.

Does Cigna Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab?

Addiction treatment is an essential health benefit under the Affordable Care Act, which insurance providers must cover. With essential health benefits, including addiction treatment, there can’t be annual or lifetime caps on how much an insurer will pay for services. However, they can cap the number of visits they will cover.

Cigna Mental Health Services Coverage

Around half of those with a substance use disorder have a co-occurring mental health disorder. Like addiction treatment, mental health services are covered by Cigna as an essential health benefit. In addition, your Cigna plan may cover mental health treatments, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), a type of psychotherapy that helps heal traumatic memories and events.

Cigna and Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)

Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) integrates the use of FDA-approved medicines to help improve addiction treatment outcomes. Cigna may cover at least a portion of the costs of MAT, which is often used to treat alcohol and opioid use disorders. While it depends on a person’s needs, insurance coverage and addiction treatment plan, medications that Cigna may cover include Suboxone and buprenorphine.

At The Recovery Village Cherry Hill at Cooper, you might begin medication-assisted treatment during your medical detox to help ease cravings and withdrawal symptoms. When medically appropriate, MAT can help you move into your next level of addiction treatment more successfully.

Cigna Length of Treatment

How long you could stay in addiction treatment, especially on an inpatient basis, is commonly 30, 60 or 90 days, although stays can be shorter or longer depending on a person’s needs. Cigna will decide the medical necessity of your treatment and its length, which will be approved by assessing your:

  • Plan and benefits
  • Medical and mental health needs
  • Medical history

You can contact Cigna directly to learn more about the length of treatment it would cover for addiction, or the team at The Recovery Village Cherry Hill at Cooper can help with the insurance verification process.

New Jersey Rehab That Accepts Cigna

The Recovery Village Cherry Hill at Cooper is a New Jersey rehab that accepts Cigna insurance. We are in-network with Cigna and can verify your individual policy and coverage details on your behalf. People are often surprised with how much Cigna will pay for their addiction treatment and mental health care. Reach out to a Recovery Advocate today to learn more about life-saving addiction treatment, or verify your coverage instantly online.


Medical Disclaimer: The Recovery Village aims to improve the quality of life for people struggling with a substance use or mental health disorder with fact-based content about the nature of behavioral health conditions, treatment options and their related outcomes. We publish material that is researched, cited, edited and reviewed by licensed medical professionals. The information we provide is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider.

Get your life back

Recovery is possible. Begin your journey today

Call Us Now Admissions Check Insurance

What To Expect

When you call our team, you will speak to a Recovery Advocate who will answer any questions and perform a pre-assessment to determine your eligibility for treatment. If eligible, we will create a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. If The Recovery Village is not the right fit for you or your loved one, we will help refer you to a facility that is. All calls are 100% free and confidential.

All calls are 100% free and confidential.